What is data recovery? It is the deliberate attempt to regain data lost from the hard drive by accident or by mistake. In most cases, this requires expertise and the use of the correct computer data recovery software and therefore it is important for you to know when to call in the experts to do it for you. There are many reasons why data recovery is important but the chief one is that at times, thanks to the damage, the normal methods of accessing the data will fail.
Can all data be salvaged? Sadly the answer is no. No matter how sophisticated the hard drive recover methods are, chances are that they will not be of much help if the files are overwritten or if there is magnetic damage. If the files that you want to recover were deleted by human error, then they will be recovered easily. This does not mean that you must always hire a data recovery technician to do this for you but if you are tech-savvy enough, you can be able to this for yourself.
The first step for effective computer data recovery
Determine whether the data that you lost is recoverable or not. What caused the damage or the loss of data? In most cases, if it was caused by fire, floods, a heavy object hitting the server, then the lost data will be recoverable, unless in very severe cases where the technician declares the data lost and gone for good.
Do not write the lost data off as unrecoverable. It would be better to try every option possible for recovery especially if the data was very important to you or to your business. For DIY recovery, there are a couple of things that you need to do. Do not panic but stop all operations on that computer. Your mission is to recover lost data if possible.
What are the most common culprits of data loss?
- Human error is the number one culprit for that. People delete their folders and files unknowingly and they do not know how to salvage it back.
- Virus attacks in the computer network at home/office or even across the MAN. Sometimes the networks can be a bit insecure, letting hackers in easily.
- Virus attacks on the individual computer where all data is erased by the virus.
- Physical damage to the computer
- These are just a few of the main causes of data loss in computers. There are more electrical faults,
- What will you need for hard drive recover?
- The damaged hard drive from the computer that lost data
- Computer data recovery software
- Internet connection
- Remote computer connected to the faulty one via the internet
- What not to do after losing information