Most PC’s problems are easy to troubleshoot and repair. By using a common sense approach, many users can be able to sort out common problems afflicting their trusted machines with ease. Common problems include computer restarting itself, freezing, error messages, the computer becoming too slow and blue screen.
Contrary to common belief, basic repairs for computers require little expertise. Solving basic PC’s problems makes you avoid more complex problems that may occur because of negligence. It is also the best opportunity for learning. Many people are afraid of computer problems and often give up easily while solving the problem with their machines.
- In most cases, restarting the computer when it misbehaves solves the problem.
- In case restarting the machine does not work favorably, then you need to look at the problem more logically and try to diagnose the cause of the problem.
- Most error messages are because of a program that is not working properly.
- Learn how to use your antivirus software to scan for any errors and keep it updated.
- Learn how to boot your computer in safe mode. In most computers, this is achieved by pressing the F8 key in quick succession when the computer is starting up.
- Learn how to use the system restore your computer.
- To know which component of your machine is faulty, use trial and error method where you make one change at a time and see if the computer is still working as expected. Of course, this is only possible if you are in an office where there are two or more computers such that you can swap the cables or mouse to see which one is not working correctly.
- In case you turn on the computer and nothing happens, start by checking the power cables. Cables do become loose and cause a loss in the power connection. Open the computer case and look at the cables. Try to attach them more firmly. Make sure the memory, microprocessors and video card adapters are all connected firmly.
- In case you succeed to solve a problem, make a point of noting down how you accomplished the task because there are no new problems, only the same ones that occur over.
- Do not allow yourself to get frustrated over a problem. If you have tried everything and failed, leave it until the next day. You might just think of new ideas. Of course if the problem proves too complex, you can always call on a professional to help.
To illustrate how the above tips are important, let us consider troubleshooting a monitor.